- I apologize to all the wonderful people - including my own beloved BB - whose July and August birthdays I've failed to acknowledge. I hope you all had excellent natal days; I think all of you help improve my world, and you're lovely in general. I'm glad I've gotten to know all of you via the Internet.
- I listened to a radio interview tonight done a few years ago with a woman who translated Rainer Maria Rilke, and who was pretty interesting in and of herself; worked for the CIA in Germany in the 1950s, became a buddhist monk after meeting Tibetan refugees (including the young Dalai Lama) while being part of one of the first Peace Corps families in India, as well as being an early environmentalist. Can I remember her name? Of course not. Now I want to read Rilke's poetry. I've only read a few bits, and loved them.
- I want to write about why The Goblin Emperor is my comfort food novel. I think I've read it four times already, and I think I know why. But some of the reasons might sound disrespectful to Sarah Monette, who wrote it under the pseudonym Katherine Addison. They aren't; they are, in my mind, one of the reasons I think her writing is marvelous. But still ... can I put it all together well? I don't know.
- Less than a month before BB and I head to Canada to celebrate my step-dad's birthday. I can hardly wait - I'm looking at things to do, like a wine-tasting at Grand Pre, maybe some theater in Halifax, dinner with friends in Wolfville ... augh; I don't know. But it's our first big blow-out vacation in years, and I want to come back to Chicago remembering it with great joy.
- I've taken to listening to "ancient" music - stuff from the Baroque period and before, which I've mentioned before. It's very soothing.
- My right hand is starting to stiffen up again, after a few years of really good recovery from the initial attack of RA and scleroderma. And my stomach is giving me rather constant troubles. Not sure what to do about the first thing, but I'm looking forward to my Aug. 25 visit with my gastroenterologist to talk about the second thing.
- Had back spasms Friday and some of the weekend. Kept me out of work Friday. That'll teach me to lay off my back exercises.
- FB and Miss Emily got back from their trip; it was good to have them home, and to welcome Emily into the family with a hug. (No, they're not married yet, but as far as I'm concerned, she's part of the family now.)
And I think that's about all I can think of for now.
This entry was originally posted at http://kaffyr.dreamwidth.org/418131.html?mode=reply, where there are currently comments. You can comment there or here; I watch both.